Maryland to upgrade Medicaid IT System and Selects SLI Government Solutions to Provide Oversight Services
SLI Government Solutions is providing Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V) consulting services to ensure the quality and success of the Maryland MMIS Modular Transformation (MMT) Project for the Maryland Department of Health (MDH).
This Health & Human Services MMT Project will further advance the MDH’s mission by upgrading the Medicaid Management Information system (MMIS). Oversight and funding for the project are primarily supplied by MDH’s Federal partner, Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
“The MMIS is essential to our agency’s ability to provide the highest level of service. An upgrade will enable us to more effectively and efficiently serve our Medicaid recipients and providers and help us remain good stewards of the Medicaid Program Funds.” – Maryland Department of Health Medicaid Director, Dennis R. Schrader
Medicaid covers over 1.3 million Maryland Citizens and the MDH operates a $12 billion program annually. This is also comprised of over 75,000 Medicaid providers. The MMIS is the core system supporting extensive Medicaid activities. From claims processing, provider management to reporting, this is a complex system serving a vital population. Federal Regulations now require States to have a modular-based MMIS System rather than the current monolithic system. The new system will provide a variety of upgrades including:
- Advanced interoperability and data sharing
- Transparency within the system across projects
- Formal Nomenclature standards
The IV&V was awarded to SLI Government Solutions in March of 2020. The initial contract term is for one year and includes four option years depending on the duration and complexity of the overall MMT project.
The IV&V contract kicked-off on April 2, 2020, with an official presentation to the agency’s leadership team. Included in the start-up timeframe was the delivery of the IV&V Quality Management Plan and Schedule. Even with the social distancing and travel restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, SLI has begun reviewing processes and products using its robust collaboration tools to provide early findings and status reports. The current national emergency brings into sharper focus the need for state health services programs to have automated systems that can respond to the urgent needs of program recipients and providers.
“During this challenging time all around the globe, SLI Government Solutions is proud to remain a strong partner for the State of Maryland and we appreciate the opportunity to work with them on the MMT Project. We understand how important their work is to serving families and supporting their mission remains our priority.” Steve Esposito, SLI Government Solutions CEO.
SLI Government Solutions is returning to the State of Maryland with previous experience in consulting and IV&V for the Maryland Department of Information Technology in 2014-2018, as well as the Maryland Workers Compensation Commission in 2015. For the MMT Project, SLI Government Solutions will leverage its proprietary ISO 9001:2015 certified Quality Management, Methods and Models (SQM3) methodology and bring decades of health and human services experience to help ensure MDH achieve the desired outcomes.
SLI is conducting the IV&V work in two part:
- PART 1 – SNAPSHOT – SLI’s work starts with the IV&V Project Kick-off Meeting and concludes when the Final Baseline Findings Report is delivered, and a presentation is made to the Agency. SLI conducts interviews, reviews documents, and analyzes the project in accordance with the Agency’s defined IV&V Objectives.
- PART 2 – ONGOING – During this phase, SLI reviews and evaluates all aspects of the project and specifically, Customer Relationship Management System (CRM), Medicaid Data Warehouse and Decision Support System, and Pharmacy Point-of-Sale Electronic Claims Management Services initial modules; provide analysis, feedback, and suggested improvements to ensure the quality and success of the project.